I own Surface RT. This post is all about my subjective opinions about it.
What I like:
- Accounts. It was planned that it will be used as personal device. It does not. So now we have three account. My wife’s account, she writes some stuff, my account – almost for student work and what is more important my daughter’s account. My daughter’s account is most critical. She actually loves to make a mess on start screen, so now she have her own.
- Quite simple device. My 5yr old daughter has account, picture password, know how to install games. And finally she trained my 1yr old son, to play games.
- Hard to break device. Physically break. With two kids it is very important.
- Office and keyboard. Actually we bought this device because wife can write and I can do paper work for my studies.
- Also I love that unlike ultrabooks it does not shake when you touch the screen. This is actually what stopping me from buying ultrabook, and why I think that my next home computer will be Surface Pro.
What I would like to have:
- More space. I bought 32GB device. It was mistake. With 3 accounts, event with almost no personal files, there is not enough space. Only updates took about 2GB of space. If I will have next Surface it will be at least 64GB.
- 3G connectivity. May be quite temporary need, but about 1-2% of time I am spending with Surface RT there is no wi-fi around. And this 1-2% is quite important for me.
- More dots on my screen. I do not really need this, but it would be really nice to have.
- Cisco VPN client. Lack of Cisco VPN client limits me hardly. There is even PowerShell installed, but I cannot use to access to my working environment.
- Fully automatic updates for apps. Why I should click update button?
- More games for kids (1-3yro).
With just announced Surface 2, only #2 is fixed. Surface LTE will fix #3.
What I almost do not care:
- More apps. Actually there are apps for almost all I need.
What I do not like:
- Size of wasted space on my disk. I know technical details, but I do not care. 6GB at max with all Program Files will be acceptable.
- Rubbish web cameras, both of them.